You are currently browsing the daily archive for May 1, 2010.
Oh dear readers I am SOOOOOO sorry! I am a terrible blogger. I bow down in complete humility to my far superior co-bloggers. My life lately has simply not been conducive to blogging and as a result, I pretty much suck. Between hubby traveling for work and me traveling for work and a variety of social, child and other commitments, I am lucky these days if I can manage to boil a pot of water, let alone cook anything worth blogging about!
I was supposed to welcome May with a celebration of barbecue. I was the logical choice as my house is THE location for summer barbecues and I have probably been barbecuing longer than I have been walking. Last year we (meaning G and I, which actually means P and I) bought P a new barbecue for Father’s Day. It’s badass. It has a rotisserie and four burners and a side burner and a warming drawer. It rocks.
I totally missed May 1st. Here’s why :
Confession #1 – we don’t actually eat the stuff on the day of when we blog about it. Otherwise we’d be eating it at 5 in the morning and that might work with some dishes, most of them … not. What we do is make it the day before and schedule our blogs to post the next morning. So … April 30th I was traveling and barely got home in time to greet my first guests as they walked in the door for Wine Club. There was not time to barbecue and blog
Confession #2 – I could’ve blogged about hamburgers last night and at least got my blog up on May 1st – albeit late. But I only had an hour and a half before I had to (had to) go to a sex toy party (known in some circles as a “Fuckerware Party” – hey, don’t blame me – I didn’t make it up) and I chose to spend it with my son instead because I knew that today I would be working all day and wouldn’t see him.
Confession #3 – In recognition of my complete failure to blog, I begged P to bail me out and he totally did! Tonight’s dinner is brought to you by my own Sweet Honey – I’m just bloggin’ about it.
P’s Jerk Chicken (done the Trini way, not the Jamaican way – don’t even get those Trinis started about Jamaican Jerk!)
1. To make Marinade, combine in medium mixing bowl: 2 tbsp. pre-mix jerk seasoning, 200 mL coconut milk, 2 cloves garlic minced, 1 onion diced, 2 tbsp. brown sugar, 3/4 tsp. dried tarragon, 1 tsp. toasted cumin seeds (and then grind them), juice of one lime.
2. Pour marinade over 1 kg. chicken (drumsticks, thighs, breasts, whatever – skin on and bone in). Marinate for at least an hour before cooking.
3. Pre-heat barbecue on high heat and then turn heat down to low before adding chicken and cook slowly for about 45 minutes.
4. Put remaining marinade in saucepan, bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer and cook until onions are cooked through and liquid is reduced by at least half.
Of course, all good barbecue is not just about the meat, but also about the side dishes. Tonight we had P’s Jerk Chicken with my Not-Salad-Pasta-Salad.
B’s Not-Salad Pasta Salad
1. To make dressing, combine in small saucepan: 3 – 4 cloves garlic minced, 1/4 – 1/3 c. olive oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. red chili flakes. Heat on low temperature until garlic begins to turn golden. Remove from heat. Add 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar, juice of 1 lemon, 1 tbsp. fresh pesto. Mix well and set aside.
2. Chop and put in bowl: 2 cups super sweet or cherry tomatoes, 1/2 - 1 c. fresh basil chiffonade, 1 red bell pepper diced small, 2 – 4 mushrooms sliced. Add: 2 small bunches fresh arugula, 2 small bunches fresh baby spinach, 1/2 – 1 c. grated parmesan (or asiago, pecorino, etc.), s & p to taste.
3. Cook pasta (wheels, shells, macaroni or similar) until al dent. Drain & immediately, while pasta is still hot and still somewhat wet, mix into salad adding dressing as you mix it in.
4. Serve with any (or all) of the following add-ons/garnish: olives, feta cheese, fresh parsley, artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, etc.
This pasta “not” salad is best made with SunWing veggies. If you don’t have super fresh veg, it’s really not as good. It is an awesome yummy dish and also makes great camping food because it’s great the next day!
B (and P who is a rockin’ awesome husband).